Thursday, March 4, 2010

The Brandenburg Project--an Introduction

Last night I was sitting on the couch, stitching on a quilt (which I will post pictures of later once it's finished), only semi watching a Ken Burn's documentary on PBS about wolves in the national park system. As I sat there somewhat absorbing what I was watching, I was reminded of a photo book that we have by Jim Brandenburg called Chased by the Light (Brandenburg is know for his wolf photographs). In his book, Brandenburg sets himself the challenge of taking one picture each day for 90 days and those 90 pictures are what make up the book. Only it's harder than it sounds. He only took one shot each day: one frame, only one chance to get it right. Some days it was easy for him, sometimes he really struggled.

Yes, that's what I want to do...only with way less restriction. I'm still a newbie to photography--especially when compared to Jim Brandenburg--so, yes, I will have more than one chance to get it right. And I'm cutting myself one other break. If I'm in a spot and find more than one potential subject for photographing I'm going to photograph them all and include the pictures in this project. You see, Brandenburg didn't have to work his schedule around being a stay-at-home mom of a two-year-old. I'm sure there will be days when I won't be able to get out and take any pictures, so I will have a few in reserve just for those days.

So what exactly is my challenge to myself? I challenge myself to post a nature picture (that I have taken) to this blog each day for at least for 90 days like Brandenburg (hopefully an entire year). I'm not exactly sure what will happen when I'm traveling and don't have access to a computer, perhaps I will have make up days.

Well, there it is. I hope you enjoy at least a few of the photographs I take. And anyone else who wants to join me in this challenge feel free to do so, just be sure to let me know so I can check out all of your cool photos.

No comments: