Monday, November 3, 2008

Crazy Daisies!


Well, here it is: my first art quilt for my new blog. I challenged myself to make a small (12"x12") quilt in one week. At first I thought it was going to be a piece of cake to get it done in time, then as the week wore on I was pretty sure I was never going to finish it. Finally, with just minutes to spare before bedtime, I finished it. It's a fused applique quilt with some hand embroidery and some decorative thread couched around the flowers by machine. Below are some detail shots where you can see the stitching more clearly.

10 comments:

About Us said...

Oh KIM! You are amazing... I am very proud of you for meeting your goal. I saw that laying on your chair yesterday but I didn't want peek at it cause I wanted to be surprised. It was totally worth the wait and I look forward for more to come.... Keep up all your hard work, your very talented sister!! (((hugs)))

Kim said...

Thanks, Annie. I'm glad you like it so much. I'm already thinking about what the next quilt should be.

Anonymous said...

I like it, it's very bright! The quilting detail is really cool. Did you ever get to take that long arm quilting class?

Kim said...

Nope, never did get to take the class, but I have been thinking about signing up for it again. I think I'll wait until the holidays are over though and then look into it.

Anonymous said...

Wow ... that is beautiful! I love the vibrant colors! Can't wait to see it in person ... I'm really curious to see what you used for sewing/embroidering the designs. (Probably not the proper "quilting" terms, but hey, I do the best I can. :) LOL)

Kim said...

Thanks, Melissa. Your terminology is just fine. I know exactly what you mean. Can't wait for you to see it in person either.

Anonymous said...

I love quilting as art. And this is some art!!!

What is the name of that cool double-overlapped stitch in the big spiral?

Kim said...

It's an outline stitch. It's an embroidery stitch, but I actually quilted through all three layers with it.

Kelly said...

So cool! Great job using lots of bright colors while still maintaining cohesion/unity! My favorite part is the way the yellow and purple swirls on the right-most flower keep your eyes moving around. Ooh! And that each flower has two petals that are negatives of the other (It takes a moment to notice that!) Lots of fun stitchies, too!

:)

ashley said...

Awesome Kim. I am not a seamstress or sewer or anything...so this is totally and completely awesome!!